White Plains, N.Y. – Surtex, the leading trade show for the art and design market to be held May 19 to 21 in New York City, will hold a series of exclusive and timely presentations on color, texture and design trends for 2014-15. Eight top trend experts from Europe and the US will conduct a total of sixteen 30-minute sessions at the Surtex 2013 Trend Theatre, exploring the latest trends impacting industries as diverse as textiles, tabletop, home and accessories, apparel, paper, stationery, packaging and gifts.
Building on the success of last year’s presentations, offered free of charge to exhibitors and attendees, these experts will offer their extremely valuable insights through exclusive presentations augmented by vivid imagery and insider commentary. The speakers travel the world in search of the newest style ideas, as well as emerging attitudes and lifestyles, and will instruct and inspire both buyers and artists alike over the course of the three show days. Several forecasters spoke last year, while others are new to Surtex 2013.
“As the leader in surface design and art licensing, Surtex is excited to have attendees and exhibitors gather the latest information and creative inspiration from the world’s top trend forecasters, on a complimentary basis,” said Penny Sikalis, vice president of GLM and manager of the Surtex show. “The Trend Theatre and the booths of the presenters will be located in the ReSource HuB, where attendees can follow up and learn more about the services of the forecasters.”
The program includes:
- Mitch Cole, Director of sales of Pantone (New Jersey), speaks on “Color: From Inspiration to Consumer” and explores getting colors right and using an effective color management system to save time and money, plus increase products’ retail success.
- Milou Ket, founder of Milou Ket styling and design (Netherlands), “Interior Trends 2014-15,” unveils emerging design themes for the home, especially bedding, bath, furniture, ceramics and wallpaper – and will use compelling imagery.
- Emmanuelle Linard, pPartner/executive director of Edelkoort (France), “Bringing Texture to Texiles: A Need for Depth,” identifies trends in texture, fabrics and patterns for Fall/Winter 2014-15.
- Jeanine Milillo, Managing Director, PeclersParis North America (Paris), will offer two topics for Fall/Winter 2014-15:
“Inspirations: Reconstruction and Lyrical and Enlightenment and Distinction.” Each session deciphers the key influences of Fall/Winter 2014-15, and translates each of these themes’ influences into creative scenarios facilitating new design through the season’s key colors, textures, prints, surfaces, silhouettes, and innovate techniques that inspire all markets.
- Kim Palmeter, marketing manager of Pantone (New Jersey), speaks on “Discovering a New Color Language for Autumn/Winter 2014-15” and considers balance and temperance as the overall color feeling for the season. Classic hues merge with fast fashion tones for surprising results.
- Ron Potensky, senior vice president and general manager of Pantone (New Jersey), Iconic Moments in Color traces color evolution over the decades, serving as a guide to future color trends and considers the key influences going forward that will affect color.
- Marcella Segala, director, East Coast, Carlin International (France), “Trend Drivers for Autumn/Winter 2014-15:Strategic and Creative Cross-Inspirations” uses a transversal approach to explore each trend through relevant colors, patterns, designs, decoration, fashion and beauty concepts, with mutation at the heart of the Autumn and Winter 2015 trends.
- Jamie Thomas, trend director, Stylesight (New York, London, Hong Kong), “Fall/Winter 2014-15 Megatrends,” will focus on three subjects:
Packaging will depict four overarching themes that directly impact color, shape, texture, material and delivery systems for packaging.
Megatrends will deliver an in-depth forecast revealing the macro-trends for Fall/Winter 2014 through four themes that will encourage new strides in innovation.
Prints & Graphics dives deep with a concentrated look on themes with original artwork for inspiration and use, along with mood and color direction to assist in the design process.
This line-up of forecasters, speaking in the Trend Theatre conveniently located on the show floor, is yet another bonus that Surtex provides to the art design and licensing market, making the show truly the source for original surface design.
The complete schedule of the sessions at the Trend Theatre is available at