Glen Ellyn, Ill.—Flooring industry professionals, premier commercial flooring contractors, distributors, manufacturers and consultants will connect virtually at FCICA’s annual mid-year event, titled Connecting the Flooring Community.
“We’re putting together an interesting educational and engaging program of informative how-tos, innovative product presentations, an industry leader keynote speaker and online get togethers,” said CJ Church, executive director.
The online meeting offers two days of informative educational sessions, associate presentations and online networking and engagement opportunities to be held Oct. 20 through Oct. 21. The event kicks off with a keynote address by James Lesslie, president of the commercial division of Engineered Floors.
The event also includes five educational sessions, 10 associate presentations and networking happy hours.
The educational sessions include the following:
- Managing Jobsite Risks – In this CIM Sponsored session using the discussion and input format, Don Styka, CIM and Mike Pigeon, CIM, will hold a Q&A educational session that includes managing onsite conditions in order to minimize claims, clarifying the job scope before the job starts and establishing manufacturer support with warranty requirements.
- COVID-19 and Contractor Liability Issues – Doing business looks different today. It’s imperative contractors and business owners understand how to move forward in this new environment. In this session, the presenters will discuss COVID-19’s impact and the issues contractors and business owners should consider when taking steps to protect their businesses, as contractors and as employees. Presented by Sloan Bailey, Esq. and Paul Pfeilschiefter, Esq., Bailey Law Partners, LLP, FCICA legal counsel.
- Distribution Challenges During the COVID-19 Pandemic – The industry’s distribution network has been impacted by the current state of affairs. In this session, Bill Mabeus, executive VP of Fishman Flooring Solutions, will address the ripple effect within distribution channels, the challenges business owners are facing and how are they responding to keep product distribution in balance.
- Basic Chemistry of Adhesives – Presenter, Jeff Johnson, FCIS product manager, MAPEI Corporation will discuss the basic chemistries used for adhesives involved with bonding resilient, carpet and wood flooring to common substrates. It will also discuss in depth new emerging adhesive chemistries that are being brought to the market that provide unique properties that solve common installation problems. Specifically, it will discuss the following topics: (1) Basic chemistry of flooring adhesives; (2) High moisture resistant, water-based adhesives for LVT; (3) Modified saline-based adhesives for resilient flooring; and (4) Aerosol-based adhesives.
- ASTM F3311 The Mat Bond Evaluation – Kevin Phillips is the director of technical services at Novalis US, LLC., and as a current member of ASTM F06 Phillips was instrumental in developing the new ASTM F3311 − 19 Standard Practice for Mat Bond Evaluation of Performance and Compatibility for Resilient Flooring System Components Prior to Installation. During this session, Phillips will cover topics such as: who, what and when to test, the responsibilities, the liability, its evaluation and importantly what’s the real cost and who pays.