Columbus, Ohio—Starnet Commercial Flooring, the world’s largest network of full-service commercial flooring contractors, has announced the Canadian Project of the Year winners, a new category for 2021. Like the annual U.S. Starnet Design awards, the Canadian competition recognizes the outstanding projects completed by the membership in partnership with the architects, designers and Starnet-aligned manufacturing partners.
The winners in this inaugural category are as follows:
Gold Canadian Project of the Year
The Canadian Project of the Year Gold winner was awarded to Beatty Floors, Ltd. for its work on G&F Financial Head Offices in Burnaby, British Columbia. After evolving from a small Fishermen’s Credit Union to a regional institution with 34,000 members and 16 locations, G&F Financial said it had clearly outgrown its corporate office. The decision was made to take the first step in finding and designing a new space, making the largest historical investment in the organization’s future.
Hoping to maintain its deep community roots in Burnaby, G&F said it succeeded in sourcing a commercial office tower within the recently completed Kings Crossing development. Designed for future growth, the bright space would become functional and inspiring. Gone was the cramped, outdated office and boxed-in layouts of the past. Instead, it was replaced with a holistic design concept of flexibility that encourages collaboration between partners and departments
- Starnet Member: Beatty Floors, LTD.
- Architect: ZGF Architects
- Starnet Preferred Vendors: Ardex, Bostik, Milliken Commercial, Starnet High Performance Carpet Tile by Milliken, Tarkett Johnsonite
Silver Canadian Project of the Year
The Silver Canadian Project of the Year was awarded to Starnet Member Couvre-Planchers Labrosse for the company’s work at Alithya located in Montreal, Quebec.
- Starnet Member: Couvre-Planchers Labrosse
- Architect: Lemay Architecture
- Starnet Preferred Vendors: Ardex, Mapei, Milliken Commercial, Tarkett Johnsonite
Bronze Canadian Project of the Year
The Bronze in Canadian Project of the Year was awarded to Starnet Member Antex Western, Ltd. for the company’s work at Chemistry West Laboratory Renovation, U of A in Edmonton, Alberta.
- Starnet Member: Antex Western, Ltd.
- Architect: Start Architecture
- Starnet Preferred Vendors: Ardex, Armstrong Flooring, Inc., Mapei, Tarkett Johnsonite
• Andrea Hanson, AIA, WELL AP, principal, architect, licensed interior designer, Dekker/Perich/Sabatini
• Alison Woolf, LEED AP associate principal, design Ddrector, Huntsman Architectural Group
• Cecelia Baumann, senior interior design student, Savannah College of Art and Design, the University of Creative Careers
Earlier this year, Starnet announced the 2021 Design Awards for U.S. projects.