Columbus, Ohio—Starnet Commercial Flooring, a network of full-service commercial flooring contractors, revealed the 2021 Starnet Design Awards winners. Now in its twenty-third year, Starnet said the annual competition honors the outstanding projects completed by the membership in partnership with the architects, designers and Starnet aligned manufacturing partners.
According to Starnet, Gold category winners were selected by a panel of judges in six categories including corporate, education, healthcare, hospitality and public spaces, mixed-use developments and a new Canadian Project of the Year. Each gold category winner contended for the overall 2021 Starnet Grand Prize award. In addition, Starnet announced the coveted People’s Choice Winners, which are nominated by Starnet members, preferred vendor partners and industry press.
“We were grateful for the high engagement level with the Starnet Design Awards across the entire network of partners,” said Mark Bischoff, president and CEO of Starnet Worldwide Commercial Flooring Partnership. “Many of these incredible installations were completed during the height of the pandemic. They showcase Starnet members’ ability to quickly adapt and remain focused on delivering exceptional commercial interior spaces to end users during the uncertain times.”
Grand Prize Winner | Gold in Healthcare
The most prestigious award, the 2021 Grand Prize, was presented to Starnet member LVR Commercial Flooring for its work on UMC Health System’s Dimensions II in Lubbock, Texas.
In addition to winning the 2021 Grand Prize, LVR Commercial Flooring took home the Gold in Healthcare for its work on the UMC Health System’s Dimensions II. Located within the University Medical Center in Lubbock, Texas, UMC Dimensions II is the premier breast imaging center of West Texas. The imaging center’s director recently commissioned a full renovation and designers incorporated the iconic pink ribbon throughout the space to honor breast cancer awareness, creating a soothing, comforting atmosphere in the process, according to the company.
Design Awards judge, Alison Woolf, associate principal, design director, Huntsman Architectural Group, said she was immediately impressed by the project. “This is an incredibly successful renovation that is warm, bright and uplifting. The theming is spot-on and the iconic ribbon design is inspiring for patients.”
Fellow judge, Andrea Hanson, principal, architect, licensed interior designer, Dekker/Perich/Sabatini, echoed her sentiments. “The material choices were outstanding, seamlessly blending highly cleanable resilient flooring necessary for healthcare environments with carpeting and soft surfaces that manage acoustics and contribute to a quiet, healing environment.”
- Starnet member: LVR Commercial Flooring
- Architect: Condray Design Group, Inc.
- Starnet preferred vendors: Altro, American Olean, Ardex, Armstrong Flooring, Inc., Daltile, Henry Adhesives, Mannington Commercial, Mapei, Tarkett Tandus Centiva, Tarkett Johnsonite, Uzin Utz North America, Inc., XL North Chemical Co.
Gold in Mixed-Use Developments | Gold in Unique Installation
Starnet member Diverzify took home two awards for its work on the Old Chicago Post Office in Chicago, Ill., Gold in Unique Installation and Gold in Mixed-Use Developments.
- Starnet member: Diverzify
- Architect: Gensler
- Starnet preferred vendors: Mapei, Schönox
Gold in Education | Bronze in Unique Installation
The Gold in Education awarded to Starnet member W.C. Carpenter for the company’s work at Virginia Wesleyan University Dining Hall in Norfolk, Va. The project also won bronze in the 2021 Starnet Design Awards Unique Installation Challenge.
Gold in Corporate
Gold in Corporate was awarded to Consolidated Flooring of Chicago for its work on the Komatsu Headquarters in Rolling Meadows, Ill.
- Starnet member: Consolidated Carpet
- Architect: Partners by Design
- Starnet Preferred Vendors: Armstrong Flooring, Inc., J+J Flooring, Mapei, Tarkett Johnsonite
Gold in Hospitality/Public Space
Starnet member DCO Commercial Floors was awarded the Gold in Hospitality/Public Space for its work on Silverspot Cinema at The Battery in Atlanta, Ga.
- Starnet member: DCO Commercial Floors
- Architect: Collins | Webb Architecture
- Starnet preferred vendors: Armstrong Flooring, Inc., Daltile, Flexco, Mannington Commercial, Mapei, MATS, Inc., Milliken Commercial, Tarkett Johnsonite
Canadian Project of the Year
The inaugural “Canadian Project of the Year” distinction was awarded to Beatty Floors, Ltd. for its work on G & F Financial Head Offices in Burnaby, British Columbia.
- Starnet member: Beatty Floors, Ltd.
- Architect: ZGF Architects, Inc.
- Starnet preferred vendors: Ardex, Bostik, Inc., Milliken, Starnet High Performance Carpet Tile by Milliken Commercial, Tarkett Johnsonite
Gold in People’s Choice (Tie)
Starnet member St. Paul Linoleum & Carpet was awarded People’s Choice Gold for its work on Cathedral of Saint Paul in Saint Paul, Minn.
- Starnet member: St. Paul Linoleum & Carpet
- Starnet preferred vendors: Ardex, Tarkett Johnsonite
Starnet member Great Floors, an ADG Company was awarded People’s Choice Gold for its work on Grandview High School in Grandview, Wash.
- Starnet member: Great Floors, an ADG Company
- Architect: Architects West
- Starnet preferred vendors: Altro, Daltile, Ecore Commercial, Mannington Commercial, Tarkett, Tarkett Johnsonite, Tarkett Tandus Centiva, Uzin Utz North America, Inc.
The Judging Panel
The panel of architects and designers that lent their talent and expertise to this year’s judging panel:
- Andrea Hanson, principal, architect, licensed interior designer, Dekker/Perich/Sabatini
- Alison Woolf, associate principal, design director, Huntsman Architectural Group
- Cecelia Baumann, senior interior design student, Savannah College of Art and Design
Additionally, John T. McGrath, Jr. served as honorary judge for the Unique Installation Challenge Award. He is the executive director of Install.