Tampa, Fla.—The National Wood Flooring Association (NWFA) hosted a “Learn the Ropes Expo Student Day” at its Wood Flooring Expo here on Thursday, April 14, to expose local high school students to career options in the hardwood flooring industry. Held at the Tampa Convention Center, students heard from a panel of industry experts, learned a few basic techniques from NWFA Regional Instructors and toured the NWFA Expo’s exhibit hall, according to the company.
“For a first event, we couldn’t be more thrilled with the number of students who attended and their engagement level,” said Stephanie Owen, vice president of education, NWFA. “The career panel presented a variety of paths to enter the wood flooring industry and the students asked great questions. It will be fun following these students as they continue to develop relationships with our members and hopefully establish careers in the wood flooring industry.”
Panel participants for the event included:
- Josh Neuberger of Pallmann
- Renee Tester of Harris Wood Floors/Q.E.P.
- Carlos Mongalo of the National Floor Contractors Apprenticeship Program
- Marquis Wright of Mr. Wright Flooring, Inc.
- Christina Curry of Florida Hardwood Floor Supplies
- Corey Cathcart of Integrity Floors, LLC
- Veronica Skowron of Atlas Floors, Inc.
- Dee Lenston of Bona U.S.
Kayleen McCabe of the McCabe Foundation emceed and Pallmann, Harris Wood Floors and Integrity Floors sponsored the event.