By Jim Augustus Armstrong
(First of three parts)
I have a question for you: Why did you go into the flooring business for yourself? Most likely you did it because you wanted a better life for yourself and your family. What, exactly, are the goals and dreams that you have for your life that motivated you to go into business as a floor covering dealer?
I don’t mean just making more money. Specifically, what do you dream about when you’re driving alone in traffic or lying awake at night? Maybe they’re things you keep to yourself because you think they sound silly, or because you’ve given up hope of ever achieving them. Or perhaps you’re happy with your business but simply want to get more out of it and out of your life, and you’re feeling stuck at the same level.
Whichever scenario best describes you, this article—the first in a three-part series—is about putting you on the path to achieving the dreams and goals you have for your business and your life—dreams, which until now, may have eluded you.
We’re going to start with a quick exercise. Get out a blank sheet of paper and a pen and write down one thing you dream about having in your life that you don’t have right now because of a lack of time, money or both. To help get the wheels turning, following are some ideas taken from my book, “The Independent Floor Dealer Success System.”
• “I only work Monday through Thursday, and I quit early on Wednesdays. Wednesday afternoons and all-day Friday I play golf.”
• “I take three multi-week vacations every year, many of which are out of the country. While I’m gone, my business runs without me. I never call the office when I’m on vacation. There’s never a pile of catch-up work when I get back.”
• “I take a nap every afternoon.”
• “I start work at 10 a.m. each morning. I spend the early mornings hanging out with my spouse.”
• “I quit each day by 3 p.m. so I can coach my kid’s soccer team.”
• “I built a cabin in the woods to spend time with my family, especially my dad, who had a terminal illness. My dad and I spent a lot of time there together before he passed away. Having the time to spend at that cabin with him…priceless. I wouldn’t trade it for anything.”
• “Every day I get to the store at 10 a.m. and leave by 5 p.m. I take every Friday, Saturday and Sunday off. Every week I get a three-day weekend!”
• “I finally got my pilot’s license.”
• “My wife and I are building our dream home.”
Every item on this list was dreamed and achieved by an actual floor covering retailer who I’ve worked with. Prior to working with me, many of these dealers had given up hope of ever achieving their goals.
If these dealers can do it, then so can you. You just need the right blueprint.
In the second installment of this series, I will lay out key principles from this blueprint so you can begin achieving the dreams you have for your business and life.
Jim is the founder and president of Flooring Success Systems, a company that provides floor dealers with marketing services and coaching to help them attract quality customers, close more sales, get higher margins and work the hours they choose. For more information, visit FlooringSuccessSystems.com.